How To Remove Lipstick StainBe particularly sparing with the amount of water used, as it may set the stain.
For Both Washables & Nonwashables:
- Fold a clean paper towel or piece of disposable muslin and place on the spot.
- Turn the area over and drip dry cleaning fluid from the underside of the spot, allowing it to soak the pad.
- Take a second pad and dampen with dry cleaning fluid. Blot the stain and dampen again as the fluid evaporates.
- If stain remains, repeat this process with a solution of 1 part mineral oil & 8 parts dry cleaning fluid. Then flush with 100% dry cleaning fluid and allow to dry.
- Place a clean paper towel or disposable muslin on the stain and turn over to expose the back of the fabric. Blot with water, and drip a small amount of liquid detergent and then ammonia from the back of the fabric. Replace the pad with a fresh one as stain is absorbed.
- Rinse well.
- If stain remains, use an enzyme soak (like Shout) for a maximum of 30 minutes, and rinse well.
- Mix 1 quart water, 1 tsp liquid detergent and 1 tbsp white vinegar, then soak in this solution for 30 minutes, then wash as usual and allow to air dry.
- More steps below...
- Mix 1/2 tsp enzyme soak (like Shout) with 1/2 cup water, and drip this onto stain enough to make damp.
- Cover the stain with a clean pad that has also been dampened with the enzyme soak/water mixture. Let sit for 30 minutes, adding drops to keep moist but not wet, dabbing if necessary.
- Flush with drops of water using eyedropper. Repeat if necessary.
- Blot with water. Mix 1 quart water, 1 tsp liquid detergent and 1 tbsp white vinegar, then drip this solution onto the spot with an eyedropper and let sit for 30 minutes. Flush with water.
After this, for both washables & nonwashables:
- If stain remains, blot with alcohol. Cover the area with a clean paper towel or disposable muslin that has been dampened with alcohol for 30 minutes, changing the pad with a fresh one as it absorbs the stain. Keep the spot and pad moist with alcohol, but not wet. Flush with water.
- If stain remains, mix 1 quart water, 1 tsp liquid detergent and 1 tbsp ammonia and drip this solution onto the spot, allowing to sit covered (perhaps with an inverted bowl on top to retain humidity) with a moist pad of the same solution for 30 minutes. Flush with water and allow to air dry.
Back To Vintage Clothing Collectors' Stain Guide