How To Remove Oily StainsParticularly useful for bath oil or butter stains, or any oil-based stain with a protein component.
- Soak in an enzyme presoak (like Shout) mixed with cool water for 15 minutes.
- Wash in warm (not hot) water with detergent.
- Blot the stain with a clean absorbent paper towel or disposable muslin that has been dampened with water.
- Cover with another pad that is dampened with an enzyme soak (like Shout) and let sit 30 minutes, keeping the area moist but not wet.
- Flush with drops of water using an eyedropper, then blot dry.
- If stain remains and fabric is white, bleaches are an option if applied with caution (lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide, oxygen bleach like Clorox II, and chlorine bleach, in order of strength and harshness).
Back To Vintage Clothing Collectors' Stain Guide