How To Remove Rust StainsWashables:
- Blot with water enough to dampen, then drip lemon juice on the area with an eyedropper.
- Hold the spot over steam from a boiling pot or steamer. If fading is not an issue, you can also dry the stain in the sun.
- Rinse with water and repeat if necessary.
- If stain remains, use a purchased rust remover (containing oxalic acid) and dilute well with water.
- Drip onto damp fabric and rinse thoroughly, abiding by the rust remover instructions.
- You can attempt using a rust remover like described above, but use a sparing amount with gloves on, and be ready to take it to the dry cleaner just afterward. Because it will need dry cleaning care even if the rust is removed at home, you may rather rely on a dry cleaner for this particular stain.
Back To Vintage Clothing Collectors' Stain Guide